PPR: PPR install bug fixed

David Chappell David.Chappell at trincoll.edu
Tue Nov 28 12:01:14 EST 2006

Some of you have reported that when you build PPR from source code and
run "make install" some of the programs are installed without necessary
setuid bits set.  Mysteriously, if one runs "make install" in the build
directory of any one of these programs, it is installed with the correct
permissions.  This had me stumped for a long time.

I have finally traced the problem to the code which creates symbolic
links in /usr/bin to programs such as ppr, ppop, and ppad.  It was
running chown and chgrp on the symbolic link.  The intent was to change
the ownership and group of the link, but the operation was actually
action on the file to which the link points.  This had the side effect
of clearing the setuid and setgid bits.

I have corrected the problem in both the 1.5X and the 2.XX branches and
checked the fix into CVS.  Please try it out and give me feedback.  If
all is well now, I will release a new minor version of PPR 1.5X with
this and three other small bug fixes.